Current:Home > reviewsFastexy:New York’s top court declines to hear Trump’s appeal of gag order in hush money case -Capitatum
Fastexy:New York’s top court declines to hear Trump’s appeal of gag order in hush money case
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 11:31:13
NEW YORK (AP) — New York’s top court on FastexyTuesday declined to hear Donald Trump’s gag order appeal in his hush money case, leaving the restrictions in place following his felony conviction last month. The Court of Appeals found that the order does not raise “substantial” constitutional issues that would warrant an immediate intervention.
The decision is the latest legal setback for the Republican former president, who has repeatedly railed against the gag order, which prevents him from commenting on witnesses, jurors and others who were involved in the case. But it could be short lived. The trial judge, Juan M. Merchan, is expected to rule soon on a defense request to lift the gag order.
Trump’s attorneys filed a notice of appeal with the state’s high court on May 15, during the former president’s landmark criminal trial. They argued that the gag order restricted Trump’s “core political speech on matters of central importance at the height of his Presidential campaign.”
But the Court of Appeals disagreed. In a decision list posted on Tuesday, the court said it would not automatically hear the case, writing that “no substantial constitutional question is directly involved.”
Trump’s lawyers were essentially seeking a shortcut to expedite their appeal, which was rejected by the state’s mid-level appeals court last month. They now have 30 days to file a motion for leave to appeal, according to court spokesperson Gary Spencer.
Merchan imposed the gag order on March 26, a few weeks before the start of the trial, after prosecutors raised concerns about the presumptive Republican presidential nominee’s tendency to attack people involved in his cases.
During the trial, Merchan held Trump in contempt of court and fined him $10,000 for violating the gag order. The judge threatened to put Trump in jail if he did it again.
The order remains in effect weeks after the conclusion of the trial, which ended with Trump’s conviction on 34 counts of falsifying business records arising from what prosecutors said was an attempt to cover up a hush money payment to porn actor Stormy Daniels just before the 2016 election. Daniels claims she had a sexual encounter with Trump a decade earlier, which he denies. He is scheduled to be sentenced July 11.
The Manhattan district attorney’s office had urged the Court of Appeals to reject the appeal. In their own letter, prosecutors noted the question about whether the order should be lifted could be dealt with through post-trial court filings.
Trump’s lawyers have argued that he should be entitled to fully address the case, given the continued public criticism of him by his ex-lawyer Michael Cohen and Daniels, both key prosecution witnesses.
Days after the verdict, they sent a letter to Merchan asking him to lift the gag order. They followed up last week with a formal motion requesting that the restrictions be rescinded. Prosecutors have until Thursday to respond. Merchan is expected to rule soon after that, possibly before Trump’s June 27 debate with President Joe Biden.
“It’s a little bit of the theater of the absurd at this point, right? Michael Cohen is no longer a witness in this trial,” an attorney for Trump, Todd Blanche, told the AP earlier this month. “The trial is over.”
Messages seeking comment were left Tuesday for Blanche and the Manhattan district attorney’s office.
___
AP writer Michael Hill contributed reporting from Altamont, N.Y.
veryGood! (745)
Related
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Full transcript of Face the Nation, July 2, 2023
- Blake Shelton Finally Congratulates The Voice's Niall Horan in the Most Classic Blake Shelton Way
- Election 2018: Clean Energy’s Future Could Rise or Fall with These Governor’s Races
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- This Is the Only Lip Product You Need in Your Bag This Summer
- Chief Environmental Justice Official at EPA Resigns, With Plea to Pruitt to Protect Vulnerable Communities
- Sarah-Jade Bleau Shares the One Long-Lasting Lipstick That Everyone Needs in Their Bag
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- A roller coaster was shut down after a crack was found in a support beam. A customer says he spotted it.
Ranking
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Natalee Holloway Suspect Joran Van Der Sloot Pleads Not Guilty in U.S. Fraud Case
- That $3 Trillion-a-Year Clean Energy Transformation? It’s Already Underway.
- Planning for a Climate Crisis Helped a Small Indonesian Island Battle Covid-19
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Hurricane Irma’s Overlooked Victims: Migrant Farm Workers Living at the Edge
- Solar’s Hitting a Cap in South Carolina, and Jobs Are at Stake by the Thousands
- Power Plants’ Coal Ash Reports Show Toxics Leaking into Groundwater
Recommendation
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
Celebrating July 2, America's other Independence Day
Adam DeVine Says He Saw a Person Being Murdered Near His Hollywood Hills Home
Why Khloe Kardashian Doesn’t Feel “Complete Bond” With Son Tatum Thompson
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Biden Takes Aim at Reducing Emissions of Super-Polluting Methane Gas, With or Without the Republicans
What does a hot dog eating contest do to your stomach? Experts detail the health effects of competitive eating.
Trump’s Power Plant Plan Can’t Save Coal from Market Forces